Tuesday 25 July 2000

Extra Chapter 18


Nick Clearwater's POV


I never planned on imprinting, I never planned on turning into a wolf but things just happen. I watched as Jacob lifted Lauren from the ground. His face was a mask of worry. It all happened in slow motion, I woke moments after being thrown into the tree but it was way too late to save Lauren. She was unconscious on the floor, the vampire was gone and Jacob and William were there in their human forms hovering over Lauren. Jacob didn’t even acknowledge me as he began running with his daughter. I was shocked, would the universe be that mean? Have me imprint and then take her away from me. 

“Come on kid.” William said and that was enough permission for me to start running. on the way I decided to ring my parents. 

“Nicholas?” my mother answered. 

“Mom im fine im going to the Cullen’s I’ll explain later” I said and hung up immediately. We arrived at the Cullen’s and I slowly followed Jacob in the house. I was nearly knocked out by the smell, vampires smelt awful. Awful was and understatement, it took me a second to compose myself before I could enter the house, I heard Renesmee crying and that was enough to get me in the house, I needed to know what was happening with Lauren, my heart ached thinking about her. I entered the room and stood by the window I was at a distance from the stinking vampires but I could still see what was going on. 

I watched in silence as the drama unfolded, as Jacob puked Laurens blood, as Edward drained the venom from her system, and finally as Lauren woke up and Edward explained all that had happened. I stood there in shock as the theories circulated about what Lauren was. Was she human? Was she more? 

“Lauren” I said in a small voice when everyone had stopped talking. I had been on an emotional ride with her and I just wanted to talk to her. I did my best to hold back my emotions as I walked over to her, Lauren sighed and moved away from her mother. 

“Upstairs” she told me and i nodded. 

“What?” Renesmee asked. 

“Nick imprinted on Lauren” Jacob informed the room. Renesmee’s eyes widened. 

“Seriously?” she asked looking between me and Lauren 

“Im sorry Nessie.” I told her, I realise what this meant and what I had done, I had taken her daughter from her. 

“Oh don’t say sorry sweetheart. I understand. Im just shocked” she told me. “Go upstairs and use my room to talk in, no one with bother you” she informed us. I reluctantly held my hand out towards Lauren. She looked at it for a while before taking it. 

“Lauren can I just check you’re ok?” Carlisle asked, she nodded and dropped my hand. He came over with a bandage and wrapped it around her wrist gently before placing his hands on the side of her face and looking into her eyes. 

Carlisle asked her a few questions before he allowed her to move. Lauren reached for me and I took her hand, i watched her with care as she began walking with me slowly out the room. I was so scared she was going to break or something, I walked with her up the stairs and she directed me into her parents bed room, I gently led her to the bed and we sat down. 

“im so sorry I imprinted on you” I told her immediately. 

“don’t be stupid, you didn’t have a choice.” 

“I know but I know how much you hate imprints and I know how much you never wanted this and believe me, I didn’t either, I didn’t even want to be a wolf never mind imprint, I know you like my brother, you’ve always been his best friend, god I don’t even know what Harry is gunna say, he liked you too bet he hates me.” I ranted. 

“Nick” she sighed. “I never liked your brother, not the way you’re implying. He was my best friend growing up yes but we drifted apart. We grew up. And I don’t hate imprints” she said then laughed. “oh my god I cant believe I just said that, I knew this thing would change me.” she said then looked down. 

“im sorry” I said again. I knew how this made her feel before I turned, I had often heard her talk to my older brother about how much she despised the whole idea of imprinting and I felt dreadful for doing this to her. 

“stop saying sorry” she said, although she said it softly and I might even say with love. 

“you know we don’t have to be what our parents are. Imprinting doesn’t have to be that, doesn’t have to mean we have to get together. We can be friends, or brother and sister. I am whoever you want me to be. Id be happy just being in your life, I don’t need to be in a relationship with you” I told her, hopeful, I was dreading her cutting me out. I wanted to be with her, in any way possible. I didn’t care what I was to her so long as she didn’t order me away for the rest of our lives. 

“you don’t know how imprints work do you?” she laughed. 

“I have parents that are imprinted too” I reminded her. 

“but I also have 2 brothers who are imprinted. Ive seen every angle of an imprint, at every possible stage, it always ends up in love, because why wouldn’t you want to be with your best friend? The one person that’s always there for you? The one person that would do anything for you? The one that loves you unconditionally, even if it is just their genes telling them that?” she said. I didn’t answer her, I didn’t know if she was being rhetorical or not. I was getting my hopes up, and I didn’t want to be broken hearted. 

“You’re only 12. Im not saying I want you to be my boyfriend but im not taking it off the table.” She told me and looked up at me with sincerity. I smiled at her. Was it crazy that I already loved her? 

I guess not. 

“I’ll wait.” I told her. 

“For now you can be my best friend” she told me and took my hand. 

“You’d let me?” I asked. 

“Of course. I hate that I was imprinted on but I don’t hate you. I know that’s the imprint telling me that but what the heck, im a daredevil. Let’s see how this plays out, I’ll take the car for a spin” she said then grinned at me. “Not like I have a choice anyway” she said as she stared into my eyes. I watched her chocolate brown eyes for any hint that she was lying. 

“And who knows, we may have forever” she added with the most beautiful smile. I smiled back at her, feeling much happier since I turned.

1 comment: